For the Winter Vegetables
3-4 beets, assorted, peeled and cut into wedges 1/4's or 1/8ths depending on size
12 fingerling potatoes, assorted, cut in half lengthwise
8 baby carrots, peeled
1 parsnips, peeled
12 sunchokes, cut in half lengthwise
1 medium fennel bulb, cut into wedges 1/4's or 1/8ths depending on size
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the VacMaster SV1 to 185°F/85°C
2. Place each grouping of vegetables in their own VacMaster bags.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to each bag
5. Cook the vegetables for up to three hours, or until vegetables are just tender.
6. The carrots, potatoes and turnips will cook in about 60-90 minutes where the beets will take considerably longer.
7. Remove the vegetables from the water bath and use as needed.
For the Chestnut Vinaigrette
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small red onion, peeled and diced
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
6 roasted chestnuts, roasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, fresh, stemmed and minced
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1. In a suitable size work bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the olive oil until well combined.
2. Let the mixture sit for a minimum of 30 minutes or longer for the flavors to combine.
3. When ready to serve whisk in the oil until emulsified.
4. Use as needed.
For the Poached Egg
as needed extra large egg(s), Farm Fresh
1. Preheat the SV1 to 167 °F or 75 °C
2. Using a slotted spoon or similar gently submerge the egg(s) directly from the refrigerator into the water bath and cook for 13 minutes.
3. Using the slotted spoon carefully remove the egg(s) from the water bath and use immediately.
For the Winter Salad
Feta cheese, high quality, crumbled
4 large eggs SV, see recipe, cooked and ready
1. Preheat oven to 500°F
2. Remove the cooked winter vegetables from the bags and drain away the cooking liquid which can be saved for another use.
3. Place all the cooked vegetables, one bag at a time, in a suitable bowl and gently toss with a bit of the Chestnut vinaigrette until well coated, seasoning lightly with the salt and pepper as you go.
4. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
5. Place the seasoned vegetables on parchment-lined baking sheets and place in the preheated oven.
6. Roast the vegetables, turning every few minutes until nicely browned, about 10-15 minutes.
7. While the vegetables are browning, toss the arugula with a bit of the vinaigrette and divide between four serving plates.
8. Divide the hot roasted vegetables equally on top of the dressed arugula.
9. Sprinkle the crumbled feta over the vegetables and top each with an SV cooked egg.
10. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette over the salads and serve immediately.