Sous Vide Juicy Lucy Burger with Burger Blend Spice Rub & Sauce
In 2014 TIME Magazine published a list compiled by assorted "burger historians and experts" of what they considered to be the top 17 most influential hamburgers of all time and the Juicy Lucy, a Minneapolis-perfected phenomenon, came in hot at number 10.
If you're not familiar, the Juicy Lucy (which has recorded origins that can be traced back to the 1920s) is a cheeseburger that has the cheese stuffed inside the meat patty rather than placed on top. Traditionally a slice of Kraft American cheese is surrounded by raw meat and cooked on a griddle or grill, resulting in a melted oozy core of the creamy cheese hidden within the patties.
Not really considered to be a highbrow burger no doubt due to the use of the more industrial American cheese slices product and its imitators, this self-proclaimed "Pasteurized Recipe Cheese Product" allows the burger to truly ooze cheesy love. Granted it could be far tastier if one used a more handcrafted and aged cheese but due to their natural origins when melted they generally don’t offer the proper ooze factor required for the Juicy Lucy.
Of course, using the sous vide method not only makes this version comically easy but we use the same technique to cook the burger. The gentle cooking waters of the VacMaster Sous Vide Immersion Circulator help keep the cheese from breaking through its meat barrier and only a quick sear for extra flavor and color completes the dish.
Juicy Lucy Burger Ingredients:
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20 blend, grass fed, chilled
- 8 ounces American Cheese (Kraft Singles)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- SEARED Burger Blend seasoning
- 4 brioche buns
- Burger Blend Spice and Rub Sauce, see recipe below.
- 1 as needed tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 as needed red onions, sliced thin
Juicy Lucy Burger Directions:
- Set your VacMaster SV1, SV5, or SV10 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator to your desired temperature.
- Rare: 120F/49C
- Medium Rare: 131F/55C
- Medium: 140F/60C
- Medium Well: 150F/65C
- Well: 160F/71C
- Portion the ground meat into eight even pieces. Shape each portion into a thin round patty that's slightly larger than the cheese slice.
- Fold 2 cheese slices into quarters and place in the center of each of the 4 patties, then cover the cheese with the remaining four patties.
- Tightly crimp the edges of the beef together to form a tight seal.
- Using your VacMaster Chamber Vacuum Sealer, seal appropriate sized VacMaster Zipper Chamber Pouches while "empty," when process is complete open the empty pouches and gently place one or two patties inside.
- Using your thumb and index fingers seal bag, leaving one-inch open at the top corner. Slowly lower bag into your VacMaster Sous Vide Water Bath by holding onto the open corner.
- Press air out of bag as it is submerged and seal bag just before last corner is submerged.
- Gently place the burgers into your VacMaster SV1, SV5, or SV10 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator and cook for at least 1 hour, no more than 4 hours. If you make the burgers more than 1 inch thick, make sure to leave them in the bath 1 hour per inch.
- Remove the burgers from the Sous Vide Immersion Circulator, open and gently pat the burgers dry with paper towels.
- Season generously to taste with the SEARED Burger Blend seasoning.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add oil (or use hot grill). When the oil is shimmering, sear the burgers 45 seconds on each side.
- Place each burger patty on a bun topped with copious dollops or the Burger Blend hamburger sauce and garnish with the tomatoes, onions and lettuce, serve immediately.
Burger Blend Spice Rub and Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup of fresh sous vide mayonnaise, see recipe below or use favorite brand
- 2 tablespoons of SEARED Burger Blend seasoning
- 1/2 cup ketchup, favorite brand
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, favorite brand
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha or to taste
Burger Blend Hamburger Sauce Directions:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Whole Egg Mayo Ingredients:
- 2 pasturized eggs sous vide, see recipe below
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or high quality vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil- kosher salt- black pepper
Whole Egg Mayo Directions:
- Crack and place the whole eggs in a medium sized bowl or in the bowl a food processor or bar blender.
- Add mustard and lemon juice.
- Using an immersion blender or other machine blend ingredients for a second or so until well combined.
- With motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream (mixture should become thick and emulsified).
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate, use as needed.
Pasteurized Eggs SV Ingredients
- As needed large eggs, fresh
Pasteurized Eggs Directions:
- Set your VacMaster SV1, SV5, or SV10 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator to 135F/57C.
- Gently place the eggs, in their shells, into the water and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the eggs, and immediately submerge them in ice water for 20 to 30 minutes and refrigerate.