For the Lake Effect & Chipotle "Salmorra" ...
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil, see recipe or similar
- 1/4 cup garlic puree, roasted, see recipe
- 2-3 large chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and diced
- 16 ounces plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, high quality Spanish
- 2 tablespoons Lake Effect seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar
- kosher salt
For the Paella ...
- 3-4 tablespoons Lake Effect seasoning
- 8 large shrimp SV, see recipe, peeled and deveined
- 6-8 ounces octopus SV, see recipe, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4-6 each chicken thighs SV, see recipe, skin on, bone in
- 1-2 cups Bomba rice, or similar
- roasted garlic oil, see recipe, or similar
2-3 - 3 tablespoons garlic puree, see recipe
- 1/4-1/2 cup Lake Effect & Chipotle Salmorra, see above
- 1-2 pinch(s) saffron threads, pure
- 3 cups reserved cooking liquid from the SV shrimp, octopus & chicken, or poulty broth as needed
- 3-6 cups chicken broth, hight quality, unsalted
For the Lake Effect & Chipotle "Salmorra"…
- Heat the garlic oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic puree and the diced chipotle and cook 1 minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, Lake Effect, maple sugar and smoked paprika.
- Cook for 20 -45 minutes or until the tomato liquid evaporates and a rich paste forms.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and purée (optional)
- Pour into a bowl, and season to taste with salt, reserve.
For the Paella …
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the garlic oil in a 15-inch paella pan, or similar, over high heat.
- In a large bowl add one tablespoon or so of the Lake Effect and toss the shrimp SV until well seasoned.
- Add the shrimp SV and sear for about 1 minute on each side, transfer shrimp to a plate and reserve.
- Pour 2 more tablespoons of the garlic oil into the paella pan and repeat with the seasoning and searing with the octopus SV and chicken thighs SV, reserve.
- Stir in the garlic puree and cook for 1 minute along with the salmorra and rice and cook for 1 minute more, stirring to coat and toast the rice with the sauce for about 5 minutes or so.
- Increase the heat to high and add the chicken /SV stock.
- Bring to a boil, add the saffron and season with Lake Effect.
- Stir the rice during the first 5-6 minutes while boiling, then lower the heat and simmer for an additional 11-15 minutes.
- Do not stir the rice again as it may cause it to cook unevenly.
- After about10-15 minutes, lay the reserved shrimp, octopus and chicken on top of the paella to finish heating for last few minutes.
- The paella is finished when the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Remove the paella from the heat, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let the paella rest for 5 minutes before serving.