Sous Vide Short Ribs Recipe
Beef short ribs have become one of the iconic sous vide recipes that takes any tough cut of meat and turn it into fork-tender goodness by simply setting the proper temperature and time. Whether you choose plate short ribs or chuck short ribs, you will have the same wonderful beefy lip-smacking flavors associated with the cut. Unlike conventional cooking techniques like the braised short ribs, this sous vide cooking method offers a myriad of choices of how you want your final presentation to be.
For this particular recipe, I chose 70ºC/158ºF for 24 hours. This sous vide temperature and time offers a delicious and tender texture that holds up without a shredded beef texture. It’s the best choice for a center of the plate presentation without falling apart during food plating.
Like most sous vide versions of braised meat recipes, it is best to sear the meat ahead of time before bagging so that the flavor of the meat amplifies. The searing of the beef short ribs will additionally flavor the sauce during the 24 hours sous vide cooking process. Speaking of sauce, this beef short ribs sauce recipe is pretty straight forward. It uses plenty of red wine, dried wild mushrooms and SEARED Wild Mushroom rub. One thing to keep in mind is creating the least amount of evaporation during the sous vide cooking process. The trick to overcoming a bag full of harsh winey beef soup is to make the sauce ahead of time, cooking and reducing to almost a paste. The rich unctuous paste will thin out in the bag as the short ribs give up a good amount of their juices, and when combined it creates a delicious sauce. Depending on your final platting, the meat can simply be removed from the bag with the delicious sauce spooned over top. Of course, one can also, strain and defat the sauce and even reduce it more for a more refined presentation or any other combination thereof.
Ingredients - Ribs:
- 1 plate/4 ribs
- SEARED Wild Mushroom seasoning
Ingredients - Sauce:
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, sweet yellow, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of SEARED Wild Mushroom
- 1 cup red wine, dry
- 2 cups of beef stock, see sous vide beef stock recipe
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon marmite
- ¼ cups of sous vide garlic puree
- 2 pinches of chili flakes
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 2-4 fresh bay leaves
- 1-2 fresh sprigs sage leaves
- Set (preheat) your VacMaster SV1, SV5, or SV10 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator to 70ºC/158ºF.
- Season beef short ribs liberally with SEARED Wild Mushroom Spice Blend, rest the beef short ribs for a few hours before sear.
- Over medium high heat in a cast iron or carbon steel pan, pan sear beef short ribs on all sides for a nice even brown crust. 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove beef shorts ribs.
- In the same pan, combine all finely chopped vegetables and season with salt and Wild Mushroom spice rub, cook for 10-15 minutes for translucent and soft texture.
- De-glaze the vegetables with red wine and beef stock.
- Reduce the sauce with red wine and beef stock, add tomato paste, marmite, garlic puree and chili flakes
- Add in dried mushrooms, bay leaves and sage leaves and reduce sauce. Stir sauce until thickened to a thick paste.
- Remove bay leaves and sage leaves. Cool down beef short ribs and sauce paste.
- Use Multi-Ring Bag Stand Holder and place vacuum sealed bag around ring.
- Place one short rib (per bag) and sauce in bag, and vacuum seal.
Skip steps 12 and 13 if you do not have SV10 Sous Vide Circulator with built-in Temperature Probe
12. Use your SV10 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator – placed double coated square tape on the bag, take the probe and push probe through tape and bag into the meat of the beef short rib.
13. Hit the ‘Probe’ icon on the SV10 Sous Vide Circulator screen to show you the internal temperature of beef short ribs during the sous vide cooking process.
14. Carefully place the bag in the water bath of the SV Circulator.
15. Cook the beef short ribs for 24 hours, set a timer if necessary
16. Carefully remove the beef short rib from the bag, plate and spoon sauce from the bag over beef short ribs. Add a light dust of Wild Mushroom seasoning for extra flavor. Enjoy!