Sous Vide Cherry and Maple Bread Pudding with Vanilla Creme
Happy Valentine's Day!
Maple Bread Pudding - Ingredients:
- 1 pound brioche loaf or rolls, broken or cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup tart cherries, dried
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, high quality, or extract
- 3 large eggs, whole
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted "sweet" butter, melted Butter or nonstick spray
- 1/4 cup unsalted "sweet" butter, melted cherry syrup (optional), see recipe
- Creme anglaise (optional), see recipe for garnish
- Fresh cherries (optional) for garnish
- Mint leaves (optional)
Maple Bread Pudding - Directions:
- Preheat the water bath using VacMaster SV1, SV5 or SV10 to 77°C/171°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cream, maple sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the brioche and dried cherries and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Using pan spray or similar lubricate, spray the insides of individual sealable jars as well as the insides of the lids.
- Divide the mixture between the jars.
- Seal the jars and gently lower into the the preheated water bath.
- Cook the puddings for 2 hours.
- When finished, gently remove the jars from the water bath and place on a cooling rack to lessen he thermal shock and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Carefully open jar lids and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Serve with the creme anglaise and dried tart cherry syrup garnishing with fresh cherries and mint.
Sous Vide Creme Anglaise - Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste, high quality, or extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 tablespoon sugar, granulated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, fine
Sous Vide Creme Anglaise - Directions:
- Set a water bath to 181.5°F / 83 °C using at VacMaster SV1, SV5 or SV10.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk, then strain through a chinois/fine mesh sieve.
- Using the Multi-Ring Bag Stand Holder and an appropriate sized vacuum sealed bag, add strained cream.
- Using a VacMaster Chamber Machine vacuum seal the bag.
- Gently place into the preheated water bath for 1 to 2 hours or until the mixture has thickened, massaging the bag about every 30 minutes to prevent lumping.
- Remove from the water and set aside or chill.
- Can be used hot or cold.
Dried Tart Cherry Syrup - Ingredients:
- 8 ounces dried tart cherries
- 2 cups sugar, granulated
- 2 cups water, filtered
Dried Tart Cherry Syrup - Directions:
- Preheat the water bath using VacMaster SV1, SV5 or SV10 to 188ºF/87ºC
- Using the VacMaster Multi-Ring Bag Stand Holder and an appropriate sized VacMaster bag, add the cherries, sugar and water.
- Using a VacMaster chamber machine, vacuum seal the bag.
- Gently place the sealed bag in the preheated water bath and cook up to 10 hours.
- Careful remove the bag and chill in a ice bath and place the contents into a high speed blender or similar and puree.
- Alternatively you can strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve discarding the cherries for a thinner syrup. Use as needed.