You may be thinking about carving pumpkins in preparation for Halloween. While buying your pumpkins to carve, pick up a couple extra smaller pumpkins and serve up this tasty soup your family is guaranteed to love.
1. Preheat the SV1 to 180°F/82°C.
2. Using a vegetable peeler or chef’s knife, carefully peel the pumpkins.
3. Cut the pumpkin in half (stem to core) and remove the seeds (reserve for optional garnish) and pith, then cut into 1-inch or so sized chunks.
4. Using appropriate-sized VacMaster® bags place the pumpkin pieces into a single layer (it's best to have a single layer for even complete cooking) into one (or more) bags, and using a VacMaster® suction or chamber machine, vacuum seal.
5. Gently submerge the bag(s) in the SV1 water bath and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until quite tender.
6. While the pumpkin is cooking, place a large heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté the onions in the pumpkin seed oil until tender and beginning to color, remove from heat and reserve.
7. When the pumpkin is cooked and tender, remove from the water bath and open the pouch. Pour the cooked pumpkin into the pan along with the onions and cook until any liquid is gone and the pumpkin just begins to color.
8. Puree the pumpkin mixture in the pan with a stick (immersion) blender or in batches in a food processor or blender and return to the pan.
9.Place the pan back over medium heat and whisk in the heavy cream, taste and adjust the seasoning with the salt and hot sauce, cover and keep warm - alternatively let the soup cool then chill thoroughly. Using the VacMaster® Bag Stand and fill appropriately sized large bag or individual bags and using a VacMaster® chamber machine vacuum (Or freeze first if using suction sealer) and seal and refrigerate.
10. When ready to serve preheat the SV1 set to 165°F/74°C, and heat the bag(s) for 30 minutes or so remove from the pouch for serving.
11. For serving ladle into individual bowls or a large soup tureen and top with a bit of the caramelized onions, a drizzle of the toasted pumpkin seed oil and a sprinkle of the toasted pumpkin seeds, serve immediately.